Institute Events , Administrators , Faculty
Prof. Sengupto was the first Director of IIT Madras (1959 to 1968). He was responsible for the growth of IIT Madras in its early years. It was under his guidance that most of the infrastructure at the Institute, including the academic complexes, workshops and hostels came into existence. Some of the buildings that came up during his time were the four department buildings (including one for Humanities and Sciences), ten laboratories, the Open Air Theatre (OAT) and several other landmarks in the campus. The Administration Block was also almost completed by the time Prof. Sengupto left. In his report in the Silver Jubilee Souvenir, Prof. Sengupto lists some of his achievements including: completing 210000 square metres of buildings, ten hostels for the boys and one for the girls, 600 quarters for the staff, two schools on campus (Vanavani and Kendriya Vidyalaya) and other buildings such as the staff club, ladies club and the swimming pool.
From left, a gentleman (yet to be identified), Prof. W. Koch (Physics Department), Prof. S. Sampath (Deputy Director), Dr. A. L. Mudaliar (Chairman, Board of Governors), Mrs. Shanti Sengupto, Dr. Karl Pfauter (Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany), Prof. R. G. Narayanamurthi (Head of Mechanical Engineering Department), Prof N. Klein (Gymkhana President), Mr. C. V. Sethunathan (Registrar) and Prof. Sengupto addresses the audience from the podium.
An identical photograph can be found in Album 0051 with the ID 001/0051/IMG_1603_1.