Institute Events , Administrators
Prof. A. Ramachandran (seated left) takes over charge as Director from Prof. B. Sengupto (seated right) in the presence of Mr. C. V. Sethunathan (Registrar) and Prof. S. Sampath (Deputy Director).
Prof. Sengupto was the first Director of IIT Madras (1959 to 1968). He was responsible for the growth of IIT Madras in its early years. It was under his guidance that most of the infrastructure at the Institute, including the academic complexes, workshops and hostels came into existence.
Prof. A. Ramachandran was the son of Dr. A. L. Mudaliar, the first Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT Madras. The father-son duo were in office at the same time as Director and Chairman from 1967 to 1969 until Dr. Mudaliar retired that year. Prof. Ramachandran was the Director until 1973.